When grasping the wrist of Uke it is only grasping the skin and underlying tissue. It is not grasping the bones. Grasping the skin has an effect on the fascia system.
- Tori use skin effect on Uke’s wrist.
- Tori using a diagonal spiral in the torso move from the elbow to drive Uke’s elbow up to above their shoulder level.
- Tori push their thumb into Uke’s inner elbow joint; very slightly release the grip on the wrist to allow Tori to rotate their hand from palm in to palm out. Re-grip Uke’s wrist.
- Tori control Uke before bring them down. Don’t be tempted to push Uke laterally away or use them as a prop.
- Control Uke on the ground, chest down, Their palm up, wrist below the knee cap, Tori’s palm down, stretching the arm.
- Start as per Oshi-taoshi.
- Tori make contact with Uke’s elbow; use Inside Turn action, Mune then Tegatana.
- Tori Tsugi Ashi forwards so that the hips are alongside Uke’s.
- Tori stretch and release to throw with rolling foot
- Tori avoid to the side whilst rotating the upper body in order place the free hand palm up under Uke’s wrist. (Here again the upper and lower body are doing different things)
- Use Outside Sweep action to start moving Uke’s hand down and across to Tori’s other hand which continues the movement with Inside Sweep action.
- Tori grip Uke’s elbow and bring Uke down whilst using Hikimawari Ashi footwork, which sweep Uke off their feet. (This is stepping back with a circular foot movement is initiated by turning of the Koshi and Tanden)
- Use the same start as in Hikitaoshi.
- Tori make contact with Uke’s elbow use Outside Turn action, Mune then Tegatana.
- Tori, with their other hand on the wrist of Uke, use Inside Turn action driven from the turning of the Torso, above the hips.
- Tori focus the direction of Uke’s hand to the region above their spine.
- Tori complete the throw which will induce a spiral effect into Uke’s Ukemi.
- Tori avoid by turning the Torso and grip Uke’s wrist from the underside (Ulna side of the arm).
- Tori keep the interface of the three arms and Tsugi Ashi to the side and keep Chudan level.
- Tori then Torso rotate towards Uke and stretch the arm towards Uke, connect with Uke’s arm and release the stretch to apply the lock.
- Tori turn towards Uke to secure the lock.
3 thoughts on “17-hon no kata – Hiji-waza”